Total Pageviews

Friday, September 1, 2017

Gary Low

Italo Spanish vocalist Gary Low whose real name was Luis Romano Paris Belmont was born in Rome on June 7, 1954 he burst onto the italo disco scene with the hit You are a Danger for il Discotto records Italy in 1982.  Produced by italo disco masters Pier Luigi Giomboni and Paul Micioni the record was an unexpected smash.


But I  became a fan when I Want You was a smash, hitting #1 in both Italy and Spain and Top 10 in the U.K..  I was particularly drawn to his image he seemed so "out."




But we all know there was a lot of playing with sexual identity looks in the 80's.  So was he or wasn't he?  Who knows and does it even really matter?



All I know is that I bought my twelve inch maxi single of I Want You at the Corte Ingles in Plaza Catalunya in Barcelona and I played the hell out of it.  One of  his follow-up hits La Colegiala in 1984, actually a Peruvian cumbia was an even bigger hit and great fun too.


small Gary zip
more Gary
By the mid 80's the hits disappeared though there were still a few releases up until the early 90's even.




No comments: